Happy New Year!
I'm making the decision to start the new year off the right way. Well, maybe not the right way, but the way that we want to and that seems right to us. Recently, my husband I watched a show that told the story of a couple who never changed their standard of living from where they first started after they were married. They aren't much older than my husband and myself, but they have the means to retire today and live just as they do currently. That's factoring in tax increases, cost of living increases, etc. They made a choice to not bring computers, flat screen TV's, iPods, etc. into their homes, therefore eliminating the need for the extra monthly costs those items bring to variable monthly expenses (not that I am ready to give up ANY of those items). They exercise one week per year of no spending - that's not one penny out of their pockets for a whole week. That doesn't seem too difficult, right? My husband and I sat down and decided we're going to give this a whirl - two weeks out of the year. We are creating a budget and sticking to it. I already have a budget that we follow, but our variables seem to get higher each time which means savings deposits get lower. We are doing away with some of our extras - reducing dish boxes to one room vs. the entire house, cutting down to a more "basic" package instead of having every channel, getting rid of our storage unit ($780/yr) and building more storage shelves in our garage. There are little things that I want to try too, such as making my own laundry detergent. I'm excited about that project. The only thing I need is washing soda. I have Borax and laundry soap already. I would like to also supplement our savings with doing more photography. People are willing to pay for it, I'm willing to offer my services. Two weekends out of the month to dedicate to taking photographs - I can do it.
Whatever your resolutions may be this year, give it your all, put your whole self into it. Involve your family. Be successful.
Make this YOUR year!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


1 comments:
Good luck. Those are good goals. Mike and I like Dave Ramsey's Financial Peace. Good stuff in there.
PS, the laundry soap is super easy. :-)
Post a Comment